The scholars say that once there was only one world until the coming of Shadofar, the Master Void, the Enemy of Existence. Shadofar’s onslaught was so horrible that were it not for the magic coursing through the World-that-was, it would have been erased even from memory. Instead, the world was shattered into eight: Clypeus, Caeruleum, Erytheaen, Adelsten, Viridi, Nubis, Enfys, and Umbra.
Before beings powerful enough to oppose Shalimar could unite and form a plan of defense, the world of Clypeus was almost entirely devoured, so much so that many still do not remember there was ever an eighth world. Nevertheless,, the Lirds of the Seven Worlds fought back, and won.
The gods hid the Seven Worlds within the magical matrix of the Elderwyld and then knit them together with what remained of Clypeus. The hub world they formed from the bones of Clypeus became known as Farrago.
Now, the Seven Worlds are largely ruled by ten deities. The trade city of Farrago sits at the center hub of the Seven Worlds. The country side surrounding the city is divided into partitions each leading to one of Seven Gates. The shield fiends of Kronos guard the Gates from misuse. The stars of each world are identical and seen in each respective set of heavens simultaneously.
Players are variously recruited by capricious deities who each strive to each fulfill or prevent the Prophecy of the Starkiller.
The Seven Worlds are, in brief:
- Caeruleum, the Blue World ruled by Wanjo the Wise, represented by the Water symbol
- Viridi, the Green World ruled by the halfling god Ridley and goddess Ripley, represented by the Life symbol. Oddly, when spoken of collectively, they are referred to as Everly.
- Erythaean, the Red World, also known as the Burning World, ruled by gnomish god Noah and represented by the symbol for Fire.
- Adelstan, the Stone World ruled by the dwarf god Baldnoggin, represented by the Earth symbol.
- Nubis, the Cloud World ruled by the winged elven gods Aethereus, Helios, and Fulgur, represented by the Wind symbol.
- Enfys, the Multicolored World, also known as the Rainbow World, ruled by Xorphax of Nevermind, represented by the symbol for Magic.
- Umbra, the Shadow World or the Realm of Souls, ruled by the giant goddess Oxenbane and her Furies.